Collection: Part I

Research

MIND MAP

David, Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni

Yin and Yang: The Balance of Romanticism

These three artworks are from three masters of Renaissance, Michelangelo, Raphael, da Vinci. In the article " Yin and Yang: The Balance of Romanticism" and it explains how each of these masters created the art piece in a way how romanticism and nature forming a equilibrium. Some of the evidence were that though all in the same painting Lady with the Ermine, the dress and facial expression (nature form) are much simplified in order to put the focus point on the goat than the human itself (romanticism ). The contrast are the key points here, even though two techniques seems to be the opposite, the are the key fundamental of making these are piece a masterpiece

Illustration of The Great Operation of Surgery, Charles Bell

Mermaid Tail Mutant, Mutants: On Genetic Variety and the Human Body, Armand Marie Leroi

Arts of Body during 19th century

This set of images shows the dehumanizing attitude the society had towards human body during 19th century. Instead being painted beautifully as a figure, they are being depicted as either dissected or dismembered for the audience to look at.

Example of how body are presented in 18th century Art

Inside the Body: Fantastic Images from Beneath the Skin

Combined Body

Knit Research

Knit Research

Knitting Research, Techno Textiles 2: Revolutionary Fabrics for Fashion and Design: Bk. 2, Sarah E. Braddock Clarke and Marie O'Mahony

Knitting Samples, 1 Granary

Bamboo Basket, Japanese Bamboo Baskets: Meiji, Modern and Contemporary, Masanori Moroyama and Lloyd Cotsen

Knitting Research

we were able to seek several books about knitting and textiles such as The Mindfulness of knitting helped in guiding us forming the final idea. I found that in knitting, especially hand knitting, cost a  great amount of time and patience in completing one. Moreover, it usually consists one's emotion such as love or affection. So knitting could almost be seen as like a process of creating life. It represented the energy and one's own thoughts along with personality.

Textile Perspectives in Mixed-Media Sculpture, Jac Scott

Plaster

Plaster is a material that owns very opposite properties comparing the knitting. It always gives off of a feeling that is cold and emotionless. Its color usually consists a low saturation and have an atmosphere of calmness.  

Plaster with Fabric, Textile Perspectives in Mixed-Media Sculpture, Jac Scott

These two artworks are very interesting its way of using the characteristic to overcomes the drapeness of the fabric while maintaining the beautiful shape of the fabric.

VR Theory (https://www.weibo.com/ttarticle/p/show?id=2309404142058775439381)

VR GIF (https://www.weibo.com/ttarticle/p/show?id=2309404142058775439381)

VR ANNOTATION

Virtual Reality really helps viewers to visualize a scene setting and since its a 720 degree perspective, it feels very realistic and could be overwhelming.

Cardin Pierre

Cardin Pierre

Before research, I knew not much about Mr. Pierre but I am immediately obsessed afterwards. Even now, his geometric designs still posses a strong silhouette and look very brave and powerful.

Issey Miyake

Issey Miyake

“ Miyake-san focused on creating works of wearable art. He saw clothes as more than a form of coverage that accentuates the female body championed by the Western standard of beauty (aka tits and ass), they were art pieces that changed according to the shapes and sizes of individual wearers.
(Ventus, Gracia. “The Brilliance of Issey Miyake: A Retrospective.” The Rosenrot | For The Love of Avant-Garde Fashion, 2 Nov. 2013, the-rosenrot.com/2012/08/the-brilliance-of-issey-miyake-a-retrospective.html. )

Issey Miyake

Issey Miyake is one of my favorite Japanese designer. His talents are beyond compatible, especially inventing the techniques of pleating silks in garments. It makes his design flow freely on the body and are unique to each body. I also appreciate his courage to be different and bold in designing. His ideology of "garments should be art on the body" always influences me in the process of design to be boundless and courageous. 

Cristobal Balenciaga Exhibition

Cristobal Balenciaga Exhibition Sketches

Cristobal Balenciaga Exhibition

It is such a great experience to view the works of Mr. Balenciaga in person. Though they are from almost half a century ago, they still gives off a sense of modern. Challenging from the social aesthetic view of curvy body, he uses mostly straight and sharpened corners  in his design. One thing I remembered the most was a quote describing "Cristobal always brings changes to the market with innovative silhouette". As designer, we should be someone starting the trends instead of following the trends.

Architectural Detail in Garments

Architectures Near CSM

Architectures Near CSM

3D SHAPE

Starting off by picking the shapes from the sketches we had for architectural sketches. I picked out both natural shapes and regular shapes to balance the selection. Thus, when making the 3D shapes, it turned out to have both curved and sharpened edges. 

3D SHAPE

Process

Process

While making the shapes around the body. I observe that a lot of the classmates focus more on a part of the body (usually where they started to build the shape) than focusing on letting the shape flow all across the body. Thus, I start the first piece by twisting it all around the body and use it as a base to build on.

Shapes Extracted From "Shape Around Body"

Representitive Items

Samples From Sketches

Samples From Sketches

These small boxes of sketches gives me so much inspiration when I'm making the acetate samples! They abstract a drawing rather focusing on the lines and textures of the drawing.

Representitive Items sculpture

Patterns From Acetates

Patterns From Acetates

Acetates On Mannequin

Madonna Litta, Leonardo da Vinci

Although different in values, the goal of these masters was the same: create an image of the natural world through the lens of idealism. Let the ordinary be extraordinary. Demonstrate that the commonplace vehicle can transport the soul to unparalleled ecstasy.

Lady With An Ermine, Leonardo da Vinci

HERBS AND NATURAL ELEMENT, Old Operating Theatre Museum (Photo taken by myself))

Illustration of The Great Operation of Surgery Annotation

The vivid drawings of the surgery process show the "new medical curiosity" and "fetish-like desire" of human body. Human here were depicted while they were alive, but instead of respecting in their privacy, the doctors choose to draw it down as a "tool" for future. Also, there are a lot of natural plants and herbs being used as an anesthesia or cure for diseases even though there is not exact proof of its function.

A painting from Old Operating Theatre

Dissecting a newborn, Mutants: On Genetic Variety and the Human Body, Armand Marie Leroi

Colorful Human Tissue

These images interests me in the ways of its color combination, moreover the structure of the human body sends off a feeling of "knitting". The colorful diagram shows an good example of how human body is in fact a very unique object. Each cell has its own individuality but they cooperate together to create a greater function and body.

knitting fabrics, Extreme Textiles: Designing for High Performance, Matilda McQuaid

Knittied Fabric

This piece of fabric caught my eyes because of its characteristic of being "camouflage" inside a human body. It serves as a tool in helping the implants being not rejected by the human body. The process of putting a man-made material inside the body could be seen as dehumanization. But then the at the same time the knit are becoming the "part of life", so this could be seen as a paradoxical process.

The Mindfulness in Knitting

The Mindfulness in Knitting

The interesting fact of how knitting actually helps connecting one mind and body attracts me particularly. Knitted pieces could be seen as living things since they posses much thoughts and soul from the knitter.

The Mindfulness in Knitting

knitting Techniques

Basic Knitting

knitting Techniques

Knitted Pieces, 1 Granary

Cardin Pierre

Cardin Pierre

"Beginning in the 1970s Pierre Cardin set another new trend: ‘mod chic’. This trend holds true for form or for a combination of forms, which did not exist at the time. Cardin was the first to combine extremely short and ankle length pieces, making dresses with slits, batwing sleeves with dimensions, mixing circular movement and gypsy skirts with structured tops. These creations by Cardin allowed for the geometric shapes that captivated him to be contrasted, both circular and straight lines. Pierre Cardin was an icon for starting this popular fashion movement of the early seventies. (Längle, E. (2005). Pierre Cardin: fifty years of fashion and design. London: Thames & Hudson.)"

Issey Miyake

Madeleine Vionnet

Madeleine Vionnet

"While most garments created with flat patterns tend to segment the body into front and back and limit expandability, a few designers have retained a vision of the body as a three-dimensional curvilinear life form and have drawn on spiraling and elliptical elements to achieve a different fit, ease or aesthetic."
(Kent. “SPIRALS & ELLIPSES: CLOTHING THE BODY THREE-DIMENSIONALLY.” Kent State University, KENT STATE UNIVERSITY MUSEUM, 1 Oct. 2006, www.kent.edu/museum/spirals-ellipses-clothing-body-three-dimensionally. )

Cristobal Balenciaga Exhibition

Cristobal Balenciaga Exhibition

Architectural Detail in Garments

Architectures Near CSM

Architectures Near CSM

There are a range of different styles of buildings/ objects near CSM. I am most attracted by these because their characteristic of smooth edge and sharp corner. The wavy glass of the building in the 3rd image is very interesting in the ways that it present different views when standing at different angles. When standing higher and far from it, it gives off nothing but the blue color of its own, yet when going down the bridge and standing closer to the building, it reflects a beautiful view of the sky.

3D SHAPE

Shape Flows Around Body

Shape Flows Around Body

I loved how it turned out! There is a movement in the shapes where lines flow around and the asymmetric proportion made it more energetic. However, I feel like looking from the sides, it is a bit flat. It could be expanded a little more just like how the front and back looks. This means next time when I design on a body I need to walk around it while making.

Simply amazed by how you can absorb shapes from one another and forms irregular shapes that is unique to its own. By laying each other other, one can get even more sophisticated shapes and lines. These lines and shapes would also work well for textiles' pattern.

Acetates On Mannequin

Especially enjoy the technique of projecting the acetates on mannequin. Provides a very clear and straight-away view of how the pattern would look on body. For future, maybe I can also scan the samples and project them on the body.

Acetates On Mannequin

Acetates On Mannequin

Acetates On Mannequin

Acetates On Mannequin

I end up going to Archway on Wednesday to project the acetates on wall again to get a clearer image. I figured out that it would be much easier to make patterns on computer than in real life, though it would lose the characteristic of "texture" that real-life sample would have, yet it is a quick way to check how the lines work as a pattern. Though doubt the acetates at first, I end up loving all of the patterns that I made. Especially the glue gives off an aqua feeling that makes the patterns look like underwater.